By Sarah D. Wright, Editor
It will have been hard to miss the rollout of CHADD’s #oneof15M social media and fund raising campaign. We should all be paying attention.
WHY? Because CHADD was formed in 1987 by a small group of parents in Florida who felt frustrated, isolated, and unsupported. Many people, including clinicians and educators, misunderstood the disorder and considered people with ADHD as “having a behavior problem” or “not intelligent enough.” CHADD’s mission has been to change all that.
Over the years CHADD has helped bring accurate information and awareness of ADHD to the general public and accommodations for ADHD into educational and workplace settings. It has helped to pass legislation that supports people affected by ADHD and defended–on Capitol Hill and elsewhere–the needs of our community against those who claim ADHD isn’t real. Whatever your personal feelings about CHADD, without it, the world for people affected by ADHD would be much bleaker.
Now CHADD needs your help.
As you are probably aware, CHADD is conducting a mission-critical fund raising drive. The organization needs our help–the help of the community it serves–to weather a financial rough patch. So, I encourage you to pitch in whatever way you can. The help can take many forms:
- You can participate in the #oneof15M social media campaign.
- You can upgrade to, or renew, your professional membership.
- You can buy an ad for your business in Attention! Magazine.
- You can donate, and encourage everyone you know to donate, at http://www.gofundme.com/oneof15m.
Those of you who knew Ken Zaretzky, co-founder of the ACO, might remember that he gave away 10% of everything he earned, believing that made it possible for him earn the other 90%. Most people believe they can’t afford to do that. He believed he couldn’t afford not to. So, I encourage you to follow the lead of a great coach and one of the ACO’s founding members and give something to help CHADD, our friend in need, who has done so much for the ADHD community. After all, every so often, everyone needs a hand.
All my best,
Sarah D. Wright
Sarah D. Wright is a founding board member of the ACO, author of ADHD Coaching Matters: The Definitive Guide and currently serves as Circle editor. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org